Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ultrasound

What a day! I should be picking up the house right now, but couldn’t resist writing a bit. I went with Sarah to the OBGYN today to hear our upcoming child’s heartbeat for the first time! I always get lost when I go places I’ve never been before, even Omaha, so I planned accordingly and left a bit early. Sure enough, I made a wrong turn, but quickly found my way back on track. I got there before Sarah and was afraid to go in. Only women were in the lobby and coming-and-going from the building. I was afraid that they may want to take out their latent pregnancy rage on any random male within the vicinity, so I decided to wait in the car. After waiting in 3 different areas, we finally got to see the doctor (nurse practitioner?). She broke out the fetal heart monitor and offered to get us an ultrasound if we couldn’t hear the heartbeat. Naturally, I mentioned that our insurance may not cover it and deem it “medically unnecessary”. (I will never forget that term, after fighting a claim. Another story…) She said she wouldn’t try TOO hard with the monitor and that the ultrasound would then be necessary. I like her. Yes, I do.

We made our way back to the ultrasound room where they promptly squirted that strange clear ultrasound jelly on Sarah’s tummy, which I’m convinced is made of gelatin. It didn’t take them too long to find the little bean. We saw the heart beat (which is a little fast flutter) right away! I felt nostalgic and somewhat proud of myself that I could actually recognize it this time. It took 20 minutes and a lot of squinting for me to recognize the heartbeat on Ian’s ultrasound. The nurse practitioner then announced “there’s only one, no twins!” I promptly yelled “yay!” and threw my hands in the air. The female ultrasound techs then gave me this disgusted look. Anyway, and not due to their disgusted looks, I felt kind of bad as I cheered. Sarah has kept mentioning that she feels that we might be having twins. I completely stressed out at that thought; but once I found out that we really weren’t, I felt sad, even as I cheered! How strange! It must be that built-in parenthood thing that makes you want to crawl through glass and get punched in the face, just to see your kid smile. All in all, I’m happy and proud of my little 7 cm. baby, he/she is going strong. I can’t wait ‘till week 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment