Saturday, April 10, 2010

Home. Toys. Toy Story.

It is a nice breezy afternoon and both Sarah and Ian are sound asleep. Toys are strewn about the floor and I really don’t care. It’s funny how that would have bothered me 6 months to a year ago, but thank God, I’m easier-going now. I could pick them up now, but they’ll just be out there again after he wakes up! Sarah took a walk today and Ian and I watched Toy Story together. He actually sat in my lap for almost 20 minutes during the beginning, which quite a long stretch for my monkey boy. That was only the second time I’ve ever seen it, the first being while Sarah and I dated. I must admit, it’s nice to be home. Sarah and I are often on the opposite ends of the spectrum. She’s home most of the day(s), and wants to get out on the weekend; however, I take pride in the fact that it’s almost 2 PM and I’m still in my pajamas. And Ian. Like father, Like Son. (No, not the bad 80’s movie. I digress).

It’s funny how I used to feel like we HAD to do something on Saturdays, before Ian was born. It then felt stifling being “stuck” at home often after he was born, especially on weeknights. Our routine has changed. Saturday days are now fun “family time” at home while we go to bed early on Friday nights. Having to wake up at 7AM every Saturday and Sunday does that to a couple. I’ve grown content with it, a quieter contentment than I’ve ever known. Watching Ian spin in circles in the morning, dancing to “Life is a Highway”, beats the crap out of the sleeping in every weekend, “what-are-we-gonna-do-today?” pre-parenthood Saturday. That being said, I know things will change as he grows older, and when we have a new baby. I’m enjoying the new, temporary calm of this routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment