Sunday, May 2, 2010

I don't want to be a fat dad.

When I was single, I worked at a large company downtown. There was an army of fiftysomething men there, all with giant guts. I used to disdainfully look down on them, thinking about how they became hollowed out shells of their formers selves by roaming the same corporate halls for decades. Mostly, I would wonder at the giant guts they strutted around. "I will NEVER be like that", I vowed. As with many other things, my pride has been taken down a notch as I grasp HOW people get that way. I now feel bad for being so judgmental, as I understand how easy it would be for me to go that route. Being a good husband/father takes time. There are some things that have suffered loss, such as time playing guitar and exercise. If I don't consciously arrange these things into my schedule, which I don't often do, I simply don't do them. I find myself starting to gain weight. I've tried running/walking in the morning, but let's face it, I'm not a "morning" person. I'm lucky if I don't get hit by a car while groggily slogging across the street. I know good things take effort and are HARD. I know I need to stick it out and keep going in the morning, making it habit. I just find it hard not to stop doing so, as my time is already filled if I make NO concerted efforts at adding additional, me-only activities. I now no longer judge those older guys, but I still don't want to be one. For the sake of my health and my family. I know that needs to motivate me, but I find it difficult to draw motivation from that when I need to do so (rolling out of bed in the morning). I'll keep working on doing so, but am open to ANY advice from other dads who find time to work out. How do you do it? (over my lunch is not an option, since I do not belong to a gym and live far from home). That's my rant for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment